Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Rubin Biscuits and the Bones...


There was plenty that I enjoyed about this week’s reading of Writing Down the Bones, Happiness Project, and The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work. I thoroughly enjoyed the writing of Natalie Goldberg (Writing Down the Bones). She has a very conversational tone and a style as if she is in front of a classroom. There were some quotes in the reading that spoke to me and that are key for journaling. 1. “Capture the oddities of your mind” (p.9). Goldberg was describing the timed writing practices and some rules to follow. One rule emphasizing “Don’t think. Don’t get logical.” Since it’s a personal journal, you should forget about social politeness and ignore internal censor. “[Write] what your mind actually sees and feels, not what it thinks it should see or feel.” Another quote spoke to me. “When you are present, the world is truly alive” (p.10) meaning when you’re not consumed by superficial thoughts, but rather enjoying a moment the small detailed beauty around us will not go unnoticed. For instance, today was a beautiful day downtown and I decided to walk to a deli near AUSB. As I walked the few blocks on Anacapa, I noticed a tether of colorful balloons. Soft colors. I mused at the consistent style of architecture for Santa Barbara is so duly noted. I don’t normally take my time or leisurely walk the side streets of downtown, but at that moment I was present, I enjoyed almost everything around me. The small nuances.
As for the Happiness Project, I know there is a lot to be digested and absorbed through linings of thought in this book. One quick example was the email she wrote in response to a negative review she received from David Greenberg. Her positive and friendly email was an unnatural response. The review made her feel depressed, defensive, and angry, but she made herself do something she did not want to do, send a friendly email to Greenberg to show herself that she was confident enough to take criticism graciously. I enjoyed this anecdote because it is important for every writer to be humble enough to hear criticism of their work.
The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work was an intriguing read. It seemed to be written as a personal journal entry, appropriately. I appreciated the deep complex vocabulary used, but it made the reading a task rather than a pleasurable ride. I was constantly searching for definitions and synonyms (concomitant, disquisition, interlocutor, genuflect, etc.). Maybe it’s my lack of depth in vocab. 

No comments:

Post a Comment