Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Life doesn't get better than this

Rubin's Happiness Project Chapter 8


I found Rubin’s readings to be insightful. There were some quotes that really stood out to me. The first quote was in relation to mindfulness of death and memento mori. “But everything changes, everything passes.” It’s about seeing the “big picture” leading to the ability to enjoy the small details.
Rubin read memoirs of catastrophic circumstances, which gave her gratitude for not being in similar situations. When she read memoirs of serious illnesses, she was thankful for her health. It gave Rubin a certain realization. When her husband Jamie went to his liver doctor and the review was calmly, “no change.” She understood this no news to be great news!” I do believe it is important to realize this is great news rather than no news. This simple change of perspective can have a lasting impression on your sense of gratitude. The last few weeks I’ve been trying to live by a simple quote, “Gratitude’s the attitude.” When we notice the beauty all around us—SB, for example—you may appreciate the people and relationships that surround you as well. When a friend gave me great advice about a certain situation I was facing, I let him know how it positively affected my outlook on the situation. I thanked him, let him know it does not go unnoticed and showed appreciation for our long-living friendship.
Being present is crucial to being grateful. “You know what I was just thinking? ‘I’m in the pool, it’s summer, I’m seven years old, I’m wearing a very cute bathing suit, and my grandmother is asking me if I want anything to eat or drink.” By which she meant: life doesn’t get better than this. This innocence is accurate. A seven year-old understood where she was, what was going on around her, and had the mindfulness to appreciate the moment. A skill that many adults have still never grasped or understood. 

1 comment:

  1. Kono, just a quick comment: that was from last week. :) I'm glad you're following up on it, but I hope you get around to this week's/tomorrow's readings too.
    Z

    ReplyDelete